One Week Game - Day 2

This is the day 2 update of my one week game project.

The main tasks for today were to get the movement behaviour working for blocks of different shapes and sizes, and to start work on a level manager.

At first things started fairly well, I quickly had multiple blocks connected together behaving as expected but then I hit a problem. When working on the initial collision detection code I had overlooked a bug with the player overlapping the blocks slightly during pushing. I had dismissed it as something that would be easy to resolve at a later stage. It turns out however that this was much more of a problem than I had initially realised. Because of the structure I had used in my collision detection each phase was very dependant on the steps before, making the correction of the overlap difficult. In the end I decided to completely re-write the collision algorithm from scratch. At the time this seemed like a real set back, but after I had chance to redesign the code I've been left with a much cleaner flow for the collision detection.

The second task for the day - the level loading - has gone smoothly. I'm now using a simple text file to define each level which means I can construct different designs and test the puzzles efficiently. Tomorrow I will need to continue with the level manager to extend the support for combined blocks, add in the completion conditions and start looking at level switch and selection.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x........x......x
x........x...e..x
x........x......x
x........x......x
x.s......x......x
x......111.x....x
x........1.x....x
x........x......x
x........x......x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx